Saturday, February 15, 2020

the kid with the replaceable head

1 3/4 oz Genever (Bols)
1/2 oz Cardamaro
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)
2 dash Absinthe (1/2 bsp (1/16th oz) Butterfly)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Two Saturdays ago, I spotted the bottle of Cardamaro on the shelf at home, and I was inspired to create this Genever Manhattan riff based off of what would work well with that amaro. I went with Genever after having good success pairing it with Cardamaro in the Wooden Shoe; I was first exposed to that combination in 2012 at Portland Cocktail Week with the Deck Hand and the Walking Spanish. Cardamaro worked well with Punt e Mes in Father's Advice and other drinks, and the Maraschino and absinthe might have derived from my love of the Improved Gin Cocktail. For a name, I dubbed this one after a Richard Hell and the Voidoids song after thinking about how I was swapping around ingredients.
The Kid with the Replaceable Head proffered a lemon, malt, and anise bouquet to the nose. Next, grape and malt mingled on the sip, and the swallow changed gears with Genever notes melding into nutty cherry on the swallow with an anise-spice finish.

No comments: