Sunday, February 9, 2020

pink puff

1/2 Whisky (2 oz Cutty Sark Prohibition)
1/2 Apricotine (1/2 oz Combier Apricot)
3 tsp Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1 Egg White

Shake once without ice and once with ice, and strain into a cocktail glass.

As a way to reward myself for packing for my trip to Kentucky, I treated myself to an egg white Sour from the 1937 Café Royal Cocktail Book. That recipe was the Pink Puff with whisky and apricot notes; I knew that my version was not going to be pink, but perhaps with the Apricotine  (the brand name for the Garnier apricot liqueur) that was called for might generate something other than beige-orange I expected with mine. Vintage bottles of Apricotine look rather garnet red but that could be from decades of oxidation or it could be the answer to the drink's name. Regardless, apricot and Scotch are a delightful pairing, so I was game to give it a go.
The Pink Puff despite appearing like an Orange Puff was an attractive drink that proffered apricot melding into peat smoke and malt aromas. Next, creamy lemon and orchard fruit on the sip flowed into Scotch and apricot flavors on the swallow.

No comments: