Saturday, July 24, 2021

industry sour

3/4 oz Fernet Branca
3/4 oz Green Chartreuse
3/4 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz Simple Syrup

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After writing up the Banana Toronto and the drink that inspired it, the Old Dog, New Tricks, I realized that I had never had the Industry Sour that influenced the earlier drink. The Industry Sour was crafted by Ted Kilgore at Taste in St. Louis, and Ted entered it into the Kindred Cocktails database in 2011. In Esquire, Ted described its genesis as, "This was a cocktail that I created on a Sunday night for an industry person. I basically thought to myself, 'What if I put all of my favorite things into a glass and just give it to him?' And that just happened in an equal-parts sort of scenario. Green Chartreuse is kind of a mixologist's favorite, as well as Fernet. Both of those ingredients have so much intense flavor that people often shy away from them, but bartenders definitely drink them... It's comforting at first, and then all of a sudden it hits your palate with a bomb of flavor." The combination of Green Chartreuse and Fernet has been utilized for around a century for I can trace it back to the Meditation in Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933, but only modern day mixology utilizes these liqueurs as the base spirits.
The Industry Sour welcomed the senses with green herbal, minty, and menthol aromas. Next, a lime and caramel sip closed out with Green Chartreuse herbal flowing into Fernet Branca's bitter mint-menthol on the swallow.

No comments: