Saturday, August 20, 2022

kingston watusi

1 1/2 oz Smith & Cross Rum
1/2 oz Campari
1/2 oz Fernet Branca
1/2 oz Crème de Banane (Tempus Fugit)

Build in an old fashioned glass, add a large ice cube, and stir to mix and chill. No garnish.
Two Saturdays ago, I finished my bartending work week and needed a nightcap. I was too tired to peruse cocktail books for a recipe, so I began to think about a few flavor combinations including Smith & Cross Rum-Campari in the Kingston Negroni, Campari-banana liqueur in the Banana Boulevardier, Fernet-banana in the Banana Toronto, and Campari-Fernet in the Eeyore's Requiem and more recently in the Trash Polka. As the dance of ingredients came together, I dubbed it the Kingston Watusi, and it led off with an overripe pineapple, banana, and petrol funk aroma. Next, caramel on the sip cavorted into funky and tropical bitter flavors on the swallow.

No comments: