Monday, September 26, 2022

ward six

1 1/2 oz Old Overholt 86° Rye
1/2 oz Angostura Bitters
1 oz Grenadine
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/4 oz Frank's Red Hot Sauce

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.
Two Mondays ago, Andrea and I ventured down to the Seaport to have dinner at Chickadee. For a cocktail, I selected the Ward Six which came off as an intense Ward Eight riff. I later spoke with co-owner Ted Kilpatrick and inquired if it were his creation, to which he replied yes, and that it was "sneakily based on sangrita" and how their restaurant is almost in Ward Six. I explained that I figured it was his since it reminded me of his Son of Chico Dusty that he crafted a decade ago at No. 9 Park. Here, the Ward Six welcomed the nose with fruity elements from the grenadine and lemon as well as fruit and spice notes from the red pepper. Next, lemon, pepper, and pomegranate on the sip voted in rye along with pepper spice mingling with Angostura's winter spice on the swallow.

No comments: