Tuesday, November 4, 2008

[rhum agricot]

1 1/2 oz J.M. Rhum Blanc
3/4 oz Boissiere Dry Vermouth
3/4 oz Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot Liqueur
Stirred with ice and strained into a cocktail glass. Garnished with a mint leaf.

For my second beverage at Drink, John Gertsen suggested keeping with the lighter colored spirits but switching to a white rhum agricole which was something I wanted to try. He suggested a lime, sugar, and ice direction which did not excite me as much. I countered with the idea of rhum, dry vermouth, and a liqueur of his choosing (as well as proportions of his choosing) direction. Dry vermouth with sweeter alcohols seems to strike a balance that makes my palate happy.

The cocktail John came back with was delightful. While apricot liqueur is often overbearing in many drinks (even in small proportions), this one was well balanced. The J.M. blanc had an earthiness to it that connected it well with the choice of Boissiere vermouth. Andrea thought my drink had a mango taste to it which might be attributed to the rhum playing with the apricot liqueur.

3 comments:

andrea said...

On the naming - nice!! You're getting the hang of it.

Randy said...

Wow. I wonder if this was the basis for his later drink, the ODB, which was on the opening ilst at ABV. I believe the ODB is the same ingredients and proportions, but with Giffard Banane du Bresil instead of R&W Apricot. The Banane makes for a much less fruity drink - almost gives it a chewy, gomme-like quality.

Randy said...

Actually, I take that back. The ODB is more spirit forward. Maybe 2 JM, 1/2 vermouth, 1/4 Banane, or something like that. But still, similar.