Tuesday, April 7, 2009

marlin

1 oz Clement Rhum Agricole
1 oz Brugal White Rum
1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
1/2 oz Orgeat
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Triple Sec

Shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with a cherry.

For my last drink at Eastern Standard, Hugh Fiore told me that he wanted to make me a Marlin, a drink that Ben Sandrof had recently taught him and others at the bar. I asked what the base spirit was, and when Hugh replied rhum agricole, I immediately gave the thumbs up without hearing any more. Later, I was able to track down some information about the Marlin. It was created by Clancy Carroll as attributed by Beachbum Berry in his book Intoxica! (which I do not own yet, but I own his Sippin' Safari). The drink (or variations of it) is often referred to as the 'Blue Marlin' and as you can imagine, it should contain blue curacao. Due to the bar lacking said liqueur or blue food coloring, Hugh used regular old clear triple sec and made me more of a 'Yellow Marlin'.

The drink itself was rather citrusy and sweet with a big cherry taste. I am not sure where the classic cherry taste came from because Maraschino alone is not a standard cherry flavor. As the drink warmed up, the orgeat and the hotness of the white rum became more apparent on the sip. With the citrus flavors and Maraschino, I felt it was a Chartreuse away from being a Tiki Last Word variant.

No comments: