Friday, October 16, 2009

dunaway

2 1/4 oz. fino sherry (Lustau)
1/2 oz. Cynar
1/2 oz. maraschino liqueur (Luxardo)
2 dashes Angostura Orange bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
After an interesting evening spent networking (ie. watching people play pool) at a bar near South Station on Tuesday, Fred and I walked over the chilly channel to Drink. I was overdressed for the event (in a very business-y suit), but underdressed for the weather, and so when Misty greeted me and asked what I wanted, my first thought was rye (which seems more wintery to me for some reason). I knew it was far too early in the season for Tom & Jerrys, or even hot toddies. As Misty was pondering rye, she mentioned she's been playing with sherry, and so I changed my request - sherry has a nice, warming flavor reminiscent of fall.

The Dunaway is named for actress Faye, though I didn't think to ask which era Misty favored - Barfly, Chinatown, or Bonnie and Clyde. The scent of the cocktail was lemony, of course. The sherry and Cynar hit in the middle of the first sip with the nuttiness of the sherry coming through on the finish. As I continued to sip the drink, the order of the Cynar and sherry flavors tipped back on forth. Occasionally the maraschino poked through, and by the bottom of the glass, the Angostura Orange dominated, perhaps aided by the lemon twist. The cocktail reminded me a bit of the Dolores Fred had made several days back. The rum, OJ, and peppercorns shifted the Dolores to a summery drink, whereas the Dunaway definitely tastes of fall to me. Let's hope we get a little bit more fall weather before winter comes here in Boston (I refused to turn on the heat this week I caved in last night - it'll pop back up into the 60s next week, mercifully).

2 comments:

Ken Moorhead said...

The glassware at the bars you're visiting are simply charming. I love seeing something other than the typical (and starting to bore me) "martini" cocktail glasses.

frederic said...

That bar uses a lot of vintage glasses bought at antiques stores and fairs as well as on eBay. Lots of need old barware like ice picks, punch bowls, and the like. Easy to do on the home scale but it was years in the making for that bar manager to assemble.