Thursday, September 27, 2012

old hall

5/10 Nicholson's London Gin (1 2/3 oz Martin Miller Westbourne)
3/10 Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth (1 oz)
1/10 Pimm's No. 1 Cup (1/3 oz)
1/10 Rose's Lime Cordial (1/3 oz)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Saturdays ago, I was flipping through the Café Royal Cocktail Book and spotted the fruity curiosity of a Dry Martini called the Old Hall. To the base of that classic was a hint of Pimm's No. 1 and Rose's lime cordial.  Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I opened up my Rose's, but I was curious to give the aged bottle some use with this recipe; surprisingly, our decade old bottle of Rose's smelled as fresh as ever, so props to British naval ingenuity!
The lime cordial added to the gin's piney notes on the nose. The sweet-tart lime sip led into gin notes on the swallow that finished with the Pimm's fruit flavor. Overall, the Old Hall was an interesting cross of a Martini and a Gimlet.

1 comment:

DJ HawaiianShirt said...

You may have just pinpointed the reason why I love the Gimlet so much: despite the lime and coconut flavors from the Rose's, the cordial manages to bring out further the piney juniper from the gin.

This drink looks really interesting. I'll be making it soon.