Friday, November 2, 2012

a drink with something in it

1 oz Old Overholt Rye
1 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Campari
1/2 oz Dolin Blanc Vermouth
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters
6 drop Salt Water

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe glass. Twist a lemon peel over the top.
For the last round of drinks at Laurelhurst Market, my eye spied A Drink With Something in It that reminded me of something Maks Pazuniak might have created especially with the Campari, Punt e Mes, and salt. I did not ask bar manager Eric Nelson if the drink was named after the Ogden Nash poem, but I assume that it must have despite this being a rye and not a gin drink.
A Drink With Something In It
There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish I had one at present.
There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth--
I think that perhaps it's the gin.
The twist's lemon oils joined the rye aroma and hint of Punt e Mes on the nose. Malt and grape on the sip were chased by rye followed by Punt e Mes and Campari that were mellowed out by the salt. The Dolin Blanc was less detectable here, but its softness and sweetness surely aided in the drink's exquisite balance.


David said...

So funny, Frederic, but when I read the ingredients of this one, I looked to see if Maks made it for you. He does have a style.

Dagreb said...

I read too quickly and saw "The Dolin Blanc was less delectable."