Thursday, January 24, 2013

green fairy

2 oz Bombay Sapphire Gin (1 1/2 oz Tanqueray)
3/4 oz Green Tea Syrup 1:1 (1/2 oz Jasmine Green)
3/4 oz Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1 Egg White

Shake once without ice and once with ice. Strain into a coupe glass and garnish with 7 drops of St. George Absinthe.

Two Fridays ago, I decided to make a gin Daisy that I spotted in North Star Cocktails called the Green Fairy. The recipe was created by Nicholas Kosevich and Ira Kopowitz, and what lured me in was its use of green tea syrup which I had previously used to good effect in the Pokey Crocus. However, I could not find our green tea proper, so I opted for a jasmine green tea that I bought for the Masked Booby Punch over the smokier bancha green tea I found in the cabinet. The other green aspect of the drink was the absinthe used in garnishing the egg white froth. In addition, I ended up scaling down the drink since the recipe stated to strain into a coupe and a sidecar glass for the overflow, and my scaled down version fit perfectly into a coupe.
An anise and mint aroma from the absinthe greeted the nose and preceded a creamy lemon sip. The gin and green tea notes in the swallow were joined by bonus floral ones from the jasmine and were chased by a light anise finish. Despite the jasmine not being in the recipe, it was a nice touch to give the drink some added complexity.

1 comment:

Lauren @ Gourmet Veggie Mama said...

Nice. Love the addition of absinthe (though I still can't bring myself to buy a bottle, since I know it will languish unused).