Monday, January 21, 2013

hoots mon

1/2 Scotch (1 1/2 oz Famous Grouse + 1 bsp Caol Ila 12)
1/4 Lillet (3/4 oz Cocchi Americano)
1/4 Sweet Vermouth (3/4 oz Cocchi Vermouth)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added an orange twist to complement the Lillet and vermouth.

After the On the Boulevard, I decided to pick the Hoots Mon off of the Anvil's new 100 Drink list. In searching for some history on this Scotch drink, I accidentally swapped which word had the "s," and the search engine asked if I was looking for "hot moms." The proper spelling avoided this, and I learned that it was a Scottish phrase for "hey man" with some definitions including a sense of impatience or dissatisfaction. The recipe appears in the 1930 Savoy Cocktail Book, and I had seen it there and other places for years; however, I passed over it each time without giving it a chance. The structure of the drink reminded me of Highland Kitchen's Buckminster with gin and Maurin Quina in place of the classic's Scotch and vermouth; since that was quite delicious, I was game to try the Hoots Mon.
hoots mon savoy cocktail book scotch lillet vermouth
The Hoots Mon presented an orange oil and Scotch aroma that led into a citrus-grape and malt sip. Next, the smoky Scotch and vermouth came through on the swallow. The drink was a bit more sweet vermouth driven when cold, but the Cocchi Americano began to play a larger role as it warmed up. Overall, the Hoots Mon was sort of like a Rob Roy, but the the Cocchi Americano gave the balance a lighter and more citrusy feel. Perhaps this drink would shine with a single malt Scotch that showcased lemon notes from the malted barley such as a Glenmorangie 10 Year.

3 comments:

Dagreb said...

In my library I find the Hoot Mon (no s) with Benedictine rather than Lillet. Also, I've been led to believe this phrase is a US stereotype cliche and not something any Scotsman ever says.

frederic said...

That recipe is also on CocktailDB as Lillet or Benedictine, but the Benedictine version should probably just be called a Bobby Burns.

Alexander Kern said...

I asked for one of these at the Zig Zag in Seattle a couple of years back and requested it with Cocchi Americano for the Lillet and Carpano Antica for the sweet vermouth.

Having had it once with Lillet and a more plain sweet vermouth, I thought the difference was pretty pronounced. It almost took on an earthy unsweetened cocoa note that worked really pleasantly with the Scotch.