Wednesday, March 13, 2013

thamyris

2 oz Gin (Farmer's)
1/2 oz Cynar
1/4 oz Ginger Liqueur (King's)
1/4 oz St. Germain

Stir with ice and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with an orange twist.

For the cocktail hour two Fridays ago, I decided to make the Thamyris found in Food & Wine: Cocktails 2010. The recipe was created by Chris Hannah from Arnaud's French 75 Bar in New Orleans, and Chris named the drink after a poet in Greek mythology who boasted that he could outsing the muses. Needless to say, Thamyris lost that competition, and they punished him by blinding him and depriving him of his ability to create poetry and play the lyre. For the drink, I selected our bottle of Farmer's Gin for I felt that its floral notes would bolster the small amount of St. Germain in the mix.
chris hannah thamyris french 75
The Thamyris greeted the nose with orange oils with a darker note underneath from the Cynar. The sip had a vague fruitiness from the St. Germain, and the swallow offered gin followed by Cynar herbal notes and a floral-ginger finish.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds great; I just have to buy some Cynar( and i'll use domain de canton instead of Kings)./Suss

Heath said...

I think Chris may have modified the recipe since 2010--last time I was in French 75 I believe it was being served with a house-made "Polymnia Dram."

frederic said...

H - Seems that some of Chris' drinks have recipe drift over time, but this is the first name change. So perhaps it's a very different recipe?

NGC - Cynar is incredible useful and you'll find plenty of great recipes for it here and elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Frederic; I love Cynar but it's difficult to by in Sweden(where I live).

Anonymous said...

difficult to come by I mean