Tuesday, April 23, 2013

european union

1 1/2 oz Old Tom Gin (Ransom)
1 oz Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi)
1/2 oz Calvados (VSOP Boulard)
1 tsp Strega
2 dash Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters (Angostura)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Thursdays ago, I picked up Jeff Masson and Greg Boehm's Big Bartender's Book in search of inspiration for the cocktail hour. There, I honed in on Alexander Day's European Union, and considering Alex's handling of Stega in the La Bateleur, I was definitely game to try it.
bartender alexander day european union cocktail
The European Union proffered a spiced apple aroma that led into a grape sip. The apple reappeared on the swallow where it was joined by Strega's and gin's herbal notes and followed by the bitters allspice and clove on the finish. Overall, the European Union seemed like a tasty cross of a Martinez and a Marconi Wireless.

2 comments:

Dagreb said...

I may get my cocktail geek card revoked for admitting this but I've never bought calvados. For years Boulard was the only brand available in Ontario but more have started appearing on the shelves. Is there any reason NOT to start with Boulard?

frederic said...

Cost would be one. The bottle of VSOP was given to us by Andrea's brother and after we opened it, I spotted it for $50. For mixing, I was quite happy with Morin Selection which can be had for $20-22 -- a lot younger (I believe it's about or shy of 2 years old). There are most likely younger versions of Boulard that are more price effective in cocktails.