Tuesday, May 21, 2013

captain kidd

1 oz Jamaican Rum (Appleton VX)
1/2 oz Dry Sherry (Lustau Oloroso)
1/2 oz Scotch (Pig's Nose)
1 tsp Sugar (1/4 oz Simple Syrup)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Stir with ice and strain in a cocktail glass.

A few Mondays ago for the cocktail hour, I began to flip through my new acquisition of Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink which I found at a rather affordable price at an antique shop. I decided to go easy with the rum and Scotch choice using Appleton and a blended whisky instead of the Smith & Cross Rum and Laphroaig 10 Year that I might have grabbed on another evening.
trader vic's book of food & drink
The Captain Kidd presented a fruit aroma from the sherry that led into a dry grape and malt sip. The swallow then offered the rum, sherry's raisin, and hints of orange on the finish. Interestingly, the Scotch was at first more noticeable on the sip and then later on the swallow. Overall, the Captain Kidd reminded me a bit of an Arawac with extra complexity from the Scotch.

No comments: