Thursday, September 17, 2015

brainstorm

3/4 jigger Whisky (2 oz Buchanan's 12 Year Scotch) (*)
2 dash Benedictine (1/2 oz)
2 dash Dry Vermouth (1/2 oz)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added an orange twist.
(*) Postnote 4/25/22: The Savoy Cocktail Book has this specified as an Irish whiskey drink and ought to be used instead of Scotch. Boothby's generic spelling with "whisky" threw me off.
Last Thursday, I turned to Boothby's 1934 World Drinks & How to Mix Them for my post-shift nightcap. There, I was drawn to the Brainstorm in part for the name and in part for the appearance of a drier Bobby Burns variation. In the glass, the Brainstorm's twist added bright orange oil aromas over that of the Scotch's smoke. The malty sip soon led into a smoky whisky swallow with a chocolate-minty herbal finish. As according to the postnote above, the recipe was most likely sourced from the 1930 Savoy Cocktail Book where Irish whiskey is specified.

No comments: