Sunday, November 8, 2015

nutty like a fruitcake

1 1/2 oz Demerara Rum (El Dorado 3 Year)
1/2 oz Spiced Rum (Kraken)
1 oz Orange Juice
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Orgeat
1/2 oz Curaçao (Pierre Ferrand Dry)
1/4 oz Allspice Dram (St. Elizabeth)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a double old fashioned glass. Garnish with a cinnamon stick, grated nutmeg, and an orange slice studded with cloves.
Two Wednesdays ago, I turned to the new issue of Imbibe Magazine, found the holiday section, and needed to make the Nutty Like a Fruitcake by Mindy Kucan. Since Mindy works at Hale Pele, I opted for a Tiki vessel instead of an old fashioned glass to make this Mai Tai-inspired spiced number. I also hopped on this recipe for I rather enjoyed her Winter Daiquiri from two years ago. In the glass, the drink shared cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove aromas from the garnishes. On the sip, the orgeat donated a creaminess to the orange and lemon notes, and the swallow presented rum, nutty, orange, and allspice elements.


Excommish said...

I've been enjoying making drinks from your blog for the past year or so and I have to say that this one is now in my top ten. The flavors work so well and I find them very balanced. I have some friends who don't care for pineapple and I think this one will knock it out of the park for them - cheers!

Katie (aka GarnishGirl) said...

I saw this in Imbibe and really wanted to make it. I need to get a bottle of Allspice Dram! Seems like it would be perfect for this time of year.