Sunday, November 8, 2015

nutty like a fruitcake

1 1/2 oz Demerara Rum (El Dorado 3 Year)
1/2 oz Spiced Rum (Kraken)
1 oz Orange Juice
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Orgeat
1/2 oz Curaçao (Pierre Ferrand Dry)
1/4 oz Allspice Dram (St. Elizabeth)
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a double old fashioned glass. Garnish with a cinnamon stick, grated nutmeg, and an orange slice studded with cloves.
Two Wednesdays ago, I turned to the new issue of Imbibe Magazine, found the holiday section, and needed to make the Nutty Like a Fruitcake by Mindy Kucan. Since Mindy works at Hale Pele, I opted for a Tiki vessel instead of an old fashioned glass to make this Mai Tai-inspired spiced number. I also hopped on this recipe for I rather enjoyed her Winter Daiquiri from two years ago. In the glass, the drink shared cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove aromas from the garnishes. On the sip, the orgeat donated a creaminess to the orange and lemon notes, and the swallow presented rum, nutty, orange, and allspice elements.

2 comments:

Excommish said...

Frederic,
I've been enjoying making drinks from your blog for the past year or so and I have to say that this one is now in my top ten. The flavors work so well and I find them very balanced. I have some friends who don't care for pineapple and I think this one will knock it out of the park for them - cheers!

Katie (aka GarnishGirl) said...

I saw this in Imbibe and really wanted to make it. I need to get a bottle of Allspice Dram! Seems like it would be perfect for this time of year.