Tuesday, November 17, 2015

chinese itch

1 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum (1/2 oz Don Q 151, 1/2 oz Caliche)
Juice 1 Lime (3/4 oz)
3/4 oz Passion Fruit Nectar (1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup)
1 dash Orgeat (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Thursdays ago, my post work drinking had me flipping through the pages of Trader Vic's Rum Cookery & Drinkery from 1974 and stumbling upon the Chinese Itch. While this Itch had a slight similarity to the Tropical Itch, it reminded me more of a Mai Tai with passion fruit for the orange liqueur. Therefore, I shaped the recipe closer to how I mixed a Mai Tai although I kept the cocktail glass vessel drinking specification.
The Chinese Itch brough mint and passion fruit notes to the nose. Next, lime and tropical notes on the sip sidestepped the rum, passion fruit, and almond nuttiness on the swallow. Overall, it reminded me of the Manuia albeit with less funky rums and without the added spice from Angostura and absinthe.

No comments: