Sunday, December 20, 2015

bali bali

1 oz Dark Jamaican Rum (Coruba)
1 oz Light Virgin Island Rum (Caliche)
1 oz Gin (Seagram's Dry)
1 oz Cognac (Foret VSOP)
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Falernum (Velvet)
1/2 oz Simple Syrup

Shake with ice and pour into a tall glass (shake with ice, strain into a Tiki mug, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with mint).

After I got home two Tuesdays ago, I reached for Beachbum Berry's Sippin' Safari since I still had some lime juice left over from the private holiday party that I had bartended. It also gave me a good excuse to give my new-to-me Tiki mug a maiden voyage after buying it at a local antiques mart a few days before. The drink that called out to me was the Bali Bali created at the Bali Ha'i at the Beach in New Orleans circa 1950s. Interestingly, there is a Bali Bali published in the 1940 cocktail book The How and When that has some overlaps with its rum, lime, passion fruit, and sugar. Moreover, the 1950s Bali Bali shares the trio of rum, gin, and brandy that was previously seen in the Fog Cutter.
This Bali Bali began with passion fruit notes supplemented by mint aromas from the garnish I added. Next, lime, passion fruit, and a hint of pineapple filled the sip at first before it later gained more orange juice flavor. And finally, the swallow broadcasted funky dark rum, tropical notes from the passion fruit and pineapple, and spice from the juniper and clove elements.

2 comments:

KevinJ said...

Nice! Very balanced. This should be cut in half if it's for one person, unless you want to get smashed.

CocktailVirgin said...

As much booze as some 16 oz cans of imperial stout though.