Friday, December 18, 2015

eureka

2/3 jigger Gin (1 1/2 oz Bluecoat)
1/3 jigger Grenadine (1/2 oz)
2 dash Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1 dash Orange Juice (1/4 oz Cara Cara)

Shake with ice (I added a wide orange twist with the ice) and strain into a cocktail glass.

After returning home from Estragon, I was in the mood for a nightcap so I turned to Boothby's 1934 World Drinks & How to Mix Them. There, I spotted the Eureka which appeared like a gin version of a Ward Eight. Since I am at odds with the orange juice in a whiskey drink, I often tone down the orange juice and add orange bitters in that Boston classic; while orange juice and gin and not enemies as shown in the Monkey Gland and others, I still kept to this concept and shook the drink with an orange peel here instead of adding orange bitters.
The Eureka began with orange and lemon notes with hints of pine on the nose. Next, a crisp lemon, orange, and pomegranate sip gave way to gin botanicals supplemented with orange peel flavors.

No comments: