Thursday, December 10, 2015

permanent holiday

1 oz Bourbon (Four Roses Yellow)
1 oz Averna
1/2 oz Licor 43
1 oz Grapefruit Juice (Ruby Red)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup

Shake with ice and strain into a Tiki mug or tall glass. Fill with crushed ice and garnish with a grapefruit twist, mint, and a paper umbrella.
Two Sundays ago, I was in a Tiki mood when my post-shift nightcap at home rolled around. Therefore, I decided that it was time to make a drink that I had spotted in September's Imbibe Magazine from Trey Jenkins of Isla in Austin. His fall-inspired Tiki drink was dubbed the Permanent Holiday, and the thought of utilizing my dusty bottle of Licor 43 to generate some vanilla and additional citrus notes seemed intriguing. Once built, it shared grapefruit and mint aromas from the garnishes. Next, the sip was rather citrussy with grapefruit and lime and hints of passion fruit. Finally on the swallow, the Bourbon mixed with the Averna and Licor 43 herbal notes, and the drink rounded off with vanilla and passion fruit flavors.

1 comment:

Dagreb said...

I too have a dusty bottle of Licor 43. No Averna though. :(