Tuesday, December 29, 2015

long eclipse

1 oz El Dorado 12 Year Rum
1 oz Zucca Rabarbaro Amaro
1/2 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
1/2 oz Amontillado Sherry
1 barspoon Apricot Liqueur

Stir with ice, strain into a rocks glass, and garnish with an orange twist. Note: these were two half portions strained into sherry glasses.
When I was trying to decide which cocktail to get, I asked bartender James Miranda at Tiger Mama whether I should get the Flushing-Main St. or the Long Eclipse. He recommended the former, and as a thank you with the bill at the end of the night, he made for us the latter split into two glasses. The Long Eclipse began with orange and grape on the nose. The grape continued on into the sip along with a caramel note from the aged rum, and the swallow offered nuttiness from the sherry with herbal notes from the amaro and vermouth.

5 comments:

sc'Que? said...

What bar is this from?

frederic said...

Tiger Mama. It was in the tag (and in chronological order after another drink I had there). I'll edit the entry to reflect that as well.

sc'Que? said...

@frederic, LOL I never would've ssumed that #tigermama was the name of a biz... because I don't know what you do in your free time! LOL

sc'Que? said...

This will be our second time serving The Long Eclipse at my present place of employ. It was well-received just coming out of CoViD, and I expect it will be gangbusters this time around. Being in Pennsylvania, we always need to adapt recipes to what our LCB is willing to allow us to purchase--whether in-store or special-order. And I hope that I do a pretty good job of dialing in the bartender's original intention here!

Presently, we're stuck using Sfumato (sadly, no more Zucca)... Real McCoy 5-yr, bolstered with a bit of Zaya. Waiting for the Sfumato to arrive to test it out.

frederic said...

I prefer Sfumato for my bitter drinks and Zucca for my fruity ones. I only have Sfumato at home but have worked at places that have had both.

Tiger Mama was an Asian-themed restaurant (a celebrity non-Asian chef though) with great tiki and tropical drinks. It sadly didn't make it through the Pandemic and the chef/restaurant group rebranded the space into a pizza place called Tenderonis.