Tuesday, December 15, 2015

sun

3/4 jigger Brandy (1 3/4 oz Foret VSOP)
1 spoon Pineapple Syrup (1/4 oz)
1 spoon Curaçao (1/4 oz Senior)
2 dash Maraschino (1/4 oz Luxardo)
1 dash Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
2 drop Bitters (1 dash Angostura)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added a lemon twist.
Two Thursdays ago, I reached for Boothby's 1934 World Drinks and How to Mix Them and found the Sun. I was intrigued for the recipe appeared like either an East India House with lemon juice or perhaps a Brandy Crusta with pineapple syrup (but without the sugar rim). Once mixed, the Sun shared a lemon oil and brandy aroma with hints of fruitiness on the nose. Next, a crisp lemon and orange sip fell aside to brandy, nutty Maraschino, and bitters' spice on the swallow.

2 comments:

Dagreb said...

That's a generous three quarters of a jigger!

frederic said...

I have no problem adapting old recipes to be modern sizes and utilize modern liqueur/syrup sugar content and citrus acid content and size (wtf is juice of 1 lemon mean now versus then?). And I have no problem shrinking superbig modern recipes down. Also, many old "dash of this 2 dashes of that" can be modernized by interpretation to actual measurements.

While my interpretations aren't for everyone, it's better than these vague recipes in the old literature.

I do miss the days when we made 2 oz cocktails (frequent in late 30s-early 40s books like Duffy and Vic) since we have plenty of cute vintage glassware for that volume! I guess that I could've made this one as a 3/4 jigger + dashes and ended up with a cocktail that would fit in a shot glass, but why go to all that effort for something so tiny?