Wednesday, December 9, 2015

the eagle's throne

1 oz Laird's Applejack
1 light oz Cynar
3/4 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Don Julio Añejo Tequila (Espolon Reposado)
1/4 oz Amaro Nonino (Averna)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail coupe pre-rinsed with Sombra Mezcal (Montelobos). Garnish with grapefruit twist oil.
For a nightcap two Saturdays ago, I turned to Northstar Cocktails where I spotted the Eagle's Throne by Jourdan Gomez. With apple, bitter notes, and hints of smoke and agave, I was definitely intrigued. Once prepared, the Eagle's Throne offered grapefruit and smoke notes to the nose. Caramel and grape on the sip led into apple, agave, and funky bitter on the swallow.

2 comments:

billyhacker said...

I make everything you ever post (almost), but I am always looking for some signal that the drink is good. Is this good?

frederic said...

I don't write about drinks that I do not like. However, I do not rate drinks. If the combination appeals to you, give it a whirl.

Also, I find Sazeracs to be great, but it doesn't do my readers any good if they don't like strong boozy drinks with a lot of anise notes, for example. A Sazerac might rate 9/10 for me, but a Daiquiri drink would probably hate it (and hate a Negroni as well).