Friday, August 25, 2017

oaxacan smash

1 1/2 oz Suerte Blanco Tequila
1/2 oz Amaras Espadin Mezcal
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
3 wedge Lime (1/2 of a lime)
2 large leaf Sage

Muddle lime wedges and sage leaves in simple syrup, add the rest of the ingredients and ice, and shake. Double strain into a rocks glass, fill with crushed ice, add straws, and garnish with a sage tip.
Two Fridays ago, I was inspired by the sage plants in my garden to harvest some sprigs for a drink of the day at Loyal Nine. For a direction, I thought of Jacques Bezuidenhout's Sagerac as to how well sage pairs with agave spirits. Instead of deciding on tequila or mezcal, I opted for both in similar proportions as Phil Ward's Oaxacan Old Fashioned. For a format, I opted for a Smash akin to Eastern Standard's Whiskey Smash (the link is for a rum variation; the Whiskey recipe appears in my Drink & Tell book), and I kept the Oaxacan part of Phil's Old Fashioned to modify the Smash name. Overall, the drink was rather well received, and it came across akin to a Tommy's Margarita with sage notes adding complementary herbal accents to the agave distillates.

No comments: