Wednesday, August 24, 2016

oaxacan old fashioned

2 oz Los Altos Reposado Tequila
1/2 El Buho Mezcal
1/2 oz Agave Syrup (1:1)
2 dash Bittermens Mole Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a Double Old Fashioned glass with a large ice cube. Flame an orange twist over the top and discard.

For my second drink at Backbar as part of Sam Cronin's "First 50" exercise, I asked him for a Oaxacan Old Fashioned -- a drink that I have had but strangely have never entered into the blog. The drink was created by Phil Ward circa 2007 while at Death & Co., and the recipe eventually landed in Food & Wine: Cocktails 2011 (among other places). In that book, Phil explained, "This was one of the first cocktails I made using mezcal; I realized that combining mezcal with tequila was like putting tequila on steroids. Most tequila in the U.S. is only 80 proof, and I wanted more oomph! I discovered the oomph in mezcal." The recipe in that book utilized Angostura Bitters for the Bittermens' production of bitters had not been producing in any scale in 2007 (but was definitely around in 2011) as well as a half ounce less of tequila.
The Oaxacan Old Fashioned here presented orange and vegetal agave aromas. Next, the rich sip from the agave nectar led into smoky chocolate and agave flavors on the swallow. Overall, rather simple yet satisfying even as the large ice cube melted down.

No comments: