Thursday, August 8, 2019

dempsey

1/2 Dry Gin (1 1/4 oz Beefeater)
1/2 Apple Brandy (1 1/4 oz Boulard VSOP Calvados)
2 dash Grenadine (1/2 oz)
2 dash Absinthe (1/2 bsp Kübler)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist.

Two Thursdays ago, I decided to open my new purchase of W.C. Whitfield's 1939 wood-covered Just Cocktails that would be joining its brethren, Whitfield's 1941 Here's How that I bought back in 2010. The recipe that I started with was the Dempsey that was most certainly named after Jack Dempsey the boxer who reigned as the world heavyweight champion from 1919 to 1926 given the drawing of a pugilist. The combination of gin, apple brandy, and grenadine reminded me of the Pink Lady and Blue Skies, so I was intrigued.
The Dempsey left the corner with orange oil aromas over apple and berry notes and herbal undertones on the nose. Next, apple and pomegranate jabbed on the sip, and the swallow swung with gin, apple, and dark berry flavors and an anise finish at the bell.

No comments: