Thursday, September 26, 2019

two words

1 1/2 oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy
1 1/2 oz Zucca Rabarbaro (Sfumato)

Stir with ice, strain into a rocks glass with fresh ice, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Two Thursdays ago, I was in the mood for a nightcap, so I turned to Maggie Hoffman's Batch Cocktails for a recipe that I could adapt to a single serving. There, I was lured in by the Two Words by Adam James Sarkis of Milwaukee's Phoenix Cocktail Club. This two part drink featured apple brandy in a Black Manhattan of sorts with Zucca (although I utilized a similar rabarbaro: Sfumato), and this reminded me of other equal parters with Zucca such as the 11 + 2 / 12 + 1 with Green Chartreuse, Monopatin with Fino sherry, and The Dissenter with sweet vermouth (and a barspoon of cassis). Therefore, I set out to make this Black Marconi Wireless.
The Two Words spoke to the nose with lemon, apple, and earthy aromas. Next, roast notes with a hint of fruitiness on the sip finished with an apple, minty, orange, earthy, and bitter swallow.

1 comment:

JL said...

Hi, All:

I wanted to reach out with what may be an odd question! I am a food-sensory scientist specifically focusing on whiskey and other spirits at Virginia Tech. Recently I've been doing research on deriving sensory profiles for products from published reviews (specifically those from WhiskyCast and Whisky Advocate), and as a long-time reader and fan of your blog I realized I might be able to do something similar with your posts for cocktail flavors.

I wanted to ask your permission to do so. Briefly, I'd love to catalog the text from all your posts, tag ingredients, and then use some computational linguistics tools to match up cocktails, ingredients, and flavor descriptions. I wouldn't republish any of your actual material, and of course I'd acknowledge you as the originator of the dataset.

I'm sure you'll have questions and I'd love to talk in more detail—my phone # and email address are available through the link above, and I should get responses to this comment through my work email.

Thanks so much for all of your posts over the years—I make a cocktail from the blog more nights of the week than not.

Jake Lahne