Thursday, August 16, 2012

kodiak island

1 1/2 oz Beefeater Gin
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1 dash Angostura Orange Bitters
4 leaf Mint

Shake with ice and double strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a short mint sprig.

After Brick and Mortar, I started towards home via Union Square, and there, I made a pit stop at Backbar. I was greeted by bartender Sam Treadway who mentioned some of the new drinks that they had come up with; he said that they had taken an interest in merging pairs of recipes after being inspired by Ted Kilpatrick's Comanche Club. The one that sounded most appealing was a cross between an Alaska and a South Side that Joe Cammarata and Alex Homans developed. They named the creation the Kodiak Island which is an island off the southern side of Alaska.
The Kodiak Island greeted me with a mint aroma that led into a lemon, honey, and vegetal sip. Next, the swallow began with a combination of mint and gin that ended with Yellow Chartreuse's savory notes.

3 comments:

Ishmael said...

I live on Kodiak Island, and I will ask my favorite bartender to concoct one of these for me. Cheers!

Speaker and Instructor said...

This is delicious!

frederic said...

Indeed! Joe and Alex are quite talented drink crafters!