Friday, October 12, 2012

kaieteur swizzle

2 oz El Dorado 5 Year (Plantation Barbados)
1/2 oz Maple Syrup
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Velvet Falernum
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Build in a Collins glass and swizzle to mix and chill. Garnish with nutmeg and a mint sprig, and add a straw.

After the Havana Cocktail, I decided to keep with the tropical feel and make a drink from an old BonAppetit article featuring a recipe from Martin Cate of Smuggler's Cove in San Francisco. Martin's Swizzle was named after the Kaieteur Falls in central Guyana and features rum from that region. Due to dwindling Lemon Hart 80 supplies and no El Dorado 5 Year in town, I opted to use Plantion Barbados instead.
The mint and nutmeg garnishes filled the Swizzle's bouquet. The lime paired with the rum's caramel on the sip, and the rest of the rum appeared on the swallow along with maple, clove, and other spice notes.

5 comments:

Dagreb said...

I've got El Dorado 5! You should come over. Oh wait...

frederic said...

I do have Lemon Hart 80 which I believe is comparable, but it hasn't been on shelves for a year or two and we're trying to make it last until it returns. We do have ED12 which is much richer, ED3 which is not as flavorful, and ED151 which is jet fuel, and Lemon Hart 151 which I guess we could have diluted in half (since we can get it readily around here).

Dagreb said...

LH151 gotten readily eh? Maybe I should take a trip to Boston.... Good to know that ED5 is comparable to LH80. The latter is not available here. Speaking of Demerara I (extravagantly) used some El Dorado EHP in a cocktail last night and it was delicious.

Cheers!

frederic said...

LH151 isn't in every store but enough that I know where to find it. I miss LH80 -- it was my house rum especially at $17-18/bottle. It will most likely be a lot more when it returns to market.

Mind you, I have never tried ED 5 or 8 side by side with LH 80, but they are similar in body. ED 12 and 15 are much more caramel and heavy.

Dagreb said...

An update: LH80 is now available in Ontario.

This drink is delicious! Regardless of which rum you use. (As if Mr Cate makes any drinks that aren't such.)