Tuesday, October 2, 2012

pirate slave

2 oz J.M. Rhum Agricole Blanc
3/4 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Campari
1 tsp Cane Syrup (Sirop J.M.) (*)
1 dash Regan's Orange Bitters
1 dash Fee's Orange Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass containing a large cube. Garnish with a flamed orange twist.
(*) Sub a 2:1 simple syrup

Two Tuesdays ago, I decided to make the Pirate Slave that I had spotted on Imbibe Magazine's website. The recipe was created by Colin Shearn and Al Sotack at Philadelphia's Franklin Mortgage & Investment Co. Indeed, the rhum agricole, Campari, and aromatized wine combination reminded me of Scott Holliday's Defensio, so I was definitely willing to give this one a go.
The Pirate Slave greeted the senses with an orange aroma with a bitter undertone. A dry grape sip led into the rhum agricole blending into the Campari flavors on the swallow; perhaps the Punt e Mes functioned to smooth over this rhum-Campari transition. In addition, the drink was a bit more rhum-forward at first, but with some ice melt, the Campari began to take the lead. Overall, I never expected a rhum agricole Negroni to be this well balanced.

1 comment:

Dagreb said...

I read this too quickly and thought the drink was called "Pirate Steve." Imagine my Average Joe type disappointment.