Wednesday, August 14, 2013

long snake moan

1 1/2 oz Reposado Tequila (Espolon)
1/2 oz Averna
1 tsp Batavia Arrack
1 tsp Agave Nectar
2 dash Bitter Truth Aromatic Bitters (Angostura)
1 dash Bitter Truth Mole Bitters (Housemade)

Stir with ice for 15 seconds and strain over an ice sphere in a double old fashioned glass. Garnish with an orange twist.

Two Fridays ago, I felt in need of a nightcap. While looking at home for a name for a drink that I had created at work, I saw a CD from Nick Cave and immediately thought of the Franklin Mortgage & Investment Co. in Philadelphia. I figured that they had all rights to Nick Cave references in my mind and instead opted for a Richard Hell one (drink recipe to be posted in a day or two). I then recalled a Franklin drink recipe for something Old Fashioned-y that I had wanted to make before, but it was a P.J. Harvey instead of Nick Cave named one though called Long Snake Moan; the recipe was created by Mike Treffehn and published in Imbibe Magazine's online recipes.
Once mixed, the Long Snake Moan offered an orange oil over tequila nose. A caramel and chocolate sip led into tequila with a bit of funk from the Batavia Arrack on the swallow. Finally, the drink ended with an earthy chocolate and herbal spice finish.

No comments: