Friday, August 9, 2013

secret weapon

1 oz Macchu Pisco
1/2 oz Lavender Syrup (find a recipe here)
1/2 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a small cocktail coupe. Top with 1 oz Dibon Cava and garnish with a lemon twist.

A few Thursdays ago, I ventured over to Spoke Wine Bar and I found a seat in front of Drink alum Lena Webb. I was quite pleased that I could return the favor since Lena has graced my bar at Russell House Tavern before. For a cocktail, I requested the Secret Weapon. Lena described how this was California Gold's take on the French 75. I have no clue if Cali was influenced by the lavender in bloom these days or by her old co-worker Misty Kalkofen's love of lavender syrup such as in the 1820, but the effect here was delightful.
The lavender first offered itself on the nose along with the pisco and the twist's lemon oil. A lightly carbonated lemon and wine sip then led into a pisco swallow with more wine notes and a floral finish.

No comments: