Tuesday, March 18, 2014

pat bra

1/2 jigger Gin (1 1/2 oz Beefeater)
1/4 jigger Sweet Vermouth (3/4 oz Dolin)
1 dash Maraschino (3/8 oz Luxardo)
1/2 spoon Lime Juice (3/8 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Two Thursdays ago for the start of the cocktail hour, I opened up my copy of Boothby's 1934 World Drinks And How To Mix Them and found the Pat Bra. Since a good number of the recipes have light pours on the citrus and sweeteners compared to modern cocktail recipes, I tinkered with the ratios to fit my preferred palate. Once mixed, the Pat Bra offered a fruity aroma from the lime and Maraschino. A lime sip shared grape and cherry notes, and the swallow ended things with gin botanicals and a nutty cherry flavor. Overall, it came across rather Aviation-like, and after a bit of thought, I recalled that the recipe was rather similar to the Emerson Cocktail save for that calling for an Old Tom Gin and slightly different proportions.

3 comments:

Muse of Doom said...

!!! Again with that ratio I've been tracking and trying to develop a classification for (2 spirit, 1 red wine element, slightly more or less sweet and sour elements depending on balance). Do you know there's already a category out there that defines this?

frederic said...

Although not a red wine element (although most sweet vermouths are actually white wine that has been carmel-colored to appear red -- with Cocchi Sweet Vermouth and a few others being exceptions), I think of them as variations on the Scofflaw (Rye, dry vermouth, grenadine, lemon, orange bitters). I used this structure in the Pearl de Vere (a Cocchi Americano, not red wine recipe), for example.

It's been a while since I've looked through Regan's book to see if there is a classification or not. Some special version of a "New Orleans Sour" I guess.

Muse of Doom said...

Point taken on the vermouth (I'm clearly just over-fixating on the one recipe I developed that fell into the ratio, but used port). And heck, it could be any wine element: use Lillet and the 20th Century cocktail fits in.

Just cracked my Joy of Mixology open: per Regan it could fit into either the International Sour or New Orleans Sour category. Part of me wants to split hairs further too: depending on which Scofflaw recipe you use (the one listed on CVS for instance) the vermouth is brought up to be equal parts with the spirit. Regan's modification puts it closer to the Pat Bra, though.

In all, there could be grounds for subcategories for spirit-dominant or spirit+vermouth-dominant (to further break out the non-equal-parts Last Word variants). Between what I've seen here at CVS and Kindred Cocktails, there are certainly enough of each type to provide substance to the subcategories.