Monday, March 31, 2014

dragon's bane

1 1/2 oz St. George Terroir Gin (*)
1 1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/4 oz Génépi des Alpes Liqueur

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Twist a lemon peel over the top and discard.
(*) The drink was made for me batched up as a 2:1 drink, but Scott prefers it as the 1:1 listed above.

After my double shift two Wednesdays ago, I made my way down Mass Ave to meet up with Andrea at Rendezvous. For a post-work drink, I asked bartender Scott Holliday for the Dragon's Bane and for any history behind it. Scott explained how he was bewitched by the St. George Terroir Gin and was not incredibly satisfied with any combination until he made a Martinez. With a little tinkering, he created the Dragon's Bane as an advanced Martinez; I assumed the name was a reference to St. George, the Crusades-era knight who slayed a dragon.
The Dragon's Bane began with a lemon oil aroma that later gave way to more evergreen notes. A grape sip led into an intensely herbal and spruce swallow from the gin and Génépi that was balanced by bitter notes from the Punt e Mes.

No comments: