Monday, November 19, 2018

ragtime

1 oz Rye Whiskey (Rittenhouse Bonded)
1 oz Ramazzotti
1 oz Aperol
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass pre-rinsed with absinthe (Pernod Absinthe), and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Mondays ago, I found a Word document on my computer that contained the Blue Room's 2013 menu specs. Towards the end of the list was a curious number called the Ragtime that appeared like a few drinks such the Black & Bluegrass and the A Man About Town given the rye, Aperol, and amaro combination. With a little sleuthing, I discovered a 2012 Imbibe Magazine article that proved that it was not a house original of this lost Cambridge establishment but a 2009 recipe from Jeremy James Thompson at Manhattan's Raines Law Room.
The Ragtime gave forth an orange and anise bouquet to the nose along with a fruitiness from the Aperol. Next, orange and caramel on the sip slid into rye, cola, and orange flavors on the swallow with an anise finish from the Peychaud's Bitters and absinthe combination.

1 comment:

SteveL said...

It turned a bit chilly this evening, so I was looking for an appropriate brown spirit cocktail. I was about to make a Sazarac, but I recalled that I had bookmarked your Ragtime. I had all the ingredients on hand and it turned out to be a perfect nighthcap. Thanks!