Sunday, March 31, 2019

texas cakewalk

1 oz Fino Sherry (Lustau)
1/2 oz Mezcal (Fidencio)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Grenadine
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.

In looking for inspiration on what to do with my bottle of Fino sherry, I was reminded of the Death & Sundries that I had at Cane & Table. The Fino then made me think of the Remember the Alimony, and that drink's Cynar got me thinking of Giuseppe's Lady with its Cynar, grenadine, lime, and Angostura Bitters combination. When I selected mezcal as the spirit to support the sherry, it reminded me of a Mexican Firing Squad, so I named this after an American West slang term for hanging -- the Texas Cakewalk.
The Texas Cakewalk roped the nose in with a lemon and smoke aroma. Next, lime, white wine, and caramel notes cinched in the sip, and the swallow dropped with smoky mezcal, berry, herbal, and mineral flavors and dangled with a smoked finish.

No comments: