Saturday, May 23, 2020

harvey's

1/2 Brandy (1 1/2 oz Camus VS Cognac)
1/4 Gin (3/4 oz Tanqueray Malacca)
1/4 Grapefruit Juice (3/4 oz)
3 dash Cointreau (3/8 oz)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added a grapefruit twist.
For the cocktail hour on Saturday night, I reached for my 1962 edition of Ted Saucier's Bottoms Up. There, I latched on to the Harvey's created at the namesake restaurant in Washington DC; the structure reminded me of the Brown Derby in how grapefruit was the citrus here as well as making me think of the Sidecar. The other curiosity was the split spirits base of brandy and gin, and I selected Tanqueray's Malacca for it is a softer gin that is more citrus forward (including grapefruit) and less juniper driven than a London Dry. In the glass, the Harvey's welcomed the senses with a brandy and grapefruit bouquet. Next, the grapefruit continued on into the sip where it was followed by Cognac, pine, herbal, and orange flavors.

No comments: