Sunday, May 17, 2020

happy hemingway

2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1 oz Light Rum (Privateer Tres Aromatique)
1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail (Fizz) glass with 1 1/2 oz Champagne (Chandon sparkling wine), and garnish with a lemon or grapefruit twist (grapefruit twist).

Over the past few weeks, I have been getting more involved on the national level with the United States Bartenders' Guild to make better use of my downtime. For one of the educational committees, I began chatting with Kim Haasarud, and it dawned on me that I owned a book or two by her from our early purchases. Two Sundays ago, I hunted out our copy of the 2008 101 Champagne Cocktails that I last wrote about in my beer riffs on sparkling wine libations back in 2009. I began flipping through the pages and selected her sparkling abstraction of the Hemingway Daiquiri that she dubbed the Happy Hemingway.
The Happy Hemingway welcomed the senses with a grapefruit and nutty cherry bouquet. Next, a carbonated and grapefruit sip meandered into a rum, nutty cherry, and white wine swallow with clove and allspice notes on the finish.

No comments: