Monday, May 4, 2020

newman cocktail

1/2 jigger Dry Gin (1 1/2 oz Damrak)
1/2 jigger French Vermouth (1 1/2 oz Miro Dry)
3 dash Amer Picon (1/3 oz)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist.
Two Mondays ago, I was flipping through Frank Caiafa's 2016 The Waldorf Astoria Bar Book, and I spotted the Newman Cocktail that can be traced back to Jack Straub's 1914 Drinks. Caiafa provided the history for this Dry Martini with Amer Picon that it was named after a frequenter of the old Waldorf Astoria bar who owned a resort near by. In the glass, the Newman Cocktail proffered the nose an orange and caramel bouquet. Next, the caramel continued on into the sip, and the swallow showcased juniper, orange, and quinine notes. Drinking the Newman made me want to retry the amazing gin-Picon Hoskins Cocktail that I discovered at Eastern Standard in 2007 via Chuck Taggart in 2003.

No comments: