Friday, January 22, 2021

new ceremony

1 oz Rittenhouse Bonded Rye
1/2 oz Grapefruit Liqueur (St. Elder)
1/2 oz Byrrh Quinquina
1/2 oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)
1/4 oz Aperol
3 dash Orange Bitters (Scrappy's)

Stir with ice, strain into a double old fashioned glass with a large ice cube, and garnish with a grapefruit twist.
Two Fridays ago, I sought out a recipe for my third and final new purchase -- grapefruit liqueur. The book that taunted me with enough recipes in that regard enough to finally buy a bottle was the Brooklyn Bartender book, so I started there. The drink that called out to me was the New Ceremony by Tonia Guffey at Dram circa 2013 that she named after the 2012 song by the folk rock band Dry the River. Once assembled, the New Ceremony shared a grapefruit and orange aroma to the nose. Next, a bright citrus and grape sip slid into rye and bitter citrus flavors on the swallow.

No comments: