Thursday, November 25, 2021

in the stacks

1 oz Scotch (Famous Grouse)
1 oz Lustau East India Solera Sherry
3/4 oz Cynar
1/4 oz Apricot Liqueur (Rothman & Winter)
2 dash Angostura Bitters
2 dash Chocolate Bitters (Angostura Cocoa)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with an orange twist.

After returning home from Offsuit, I still wanted to participate in Sherry Week 2021. Therefore, I decided to riff on the Library Card that I had created a few years ago as my fourth night's submission. I originally crafted this variation with Amontillado sherry, but that first pass was too stark, so I swapped in Lustau's cream sherry, East India Solera, with better success. For a #SherryKu (sherry Haiku) to add to my Instagram post, I penned "Sherry & book night/It's time to pamper one's self/A pour per chapter."
For a name, I kept the library theme and dubbed this one In the Stacks. Here, the nose was greeted by orange, apricot, and herbal aromas. Next, caramel, grape, and orchard fruit notes on the sip selected a Scotch, nutty, and herbal swallow with an apricot and spice finish.

No comments: