1 oz Mezcal (Convite)
1 oz Black Jamaican Rum (Coruba)
1/2 oz Ancho Reyes Chile Liqueur
3/4 oz Mr. Black Coffee Liqueur
1/2 oz 2:1 Simple Syrup (2/3 oz 1:1)
1 oz Lemon Juice
1 1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1 pinch Salt (3 drop 20% Saline)
Whip shake, pour into a mug, and fill with crushed ice. I garnished with mint sprigs.

Two Mondays ago, my
Instagram pal Rob Balazs posted a recipe called the Señor Bali Hai created by his friend Charley Hicks. The idea is a Mexican-themed riff on the
Mr. Bali Hai that swaps some of the rum for mezcal and Ancho Reyes Chile Liqueur. I have tried mezcal in a split base Mr. Bali Hai variation in the
Mistah Bittah Hai and in my
King Kopeika, so I was curious to try it with Ancho Reyes in the mix. Once assembled, the Señor Bali Hai gave forth mint over coffee, agave, and smoke aromas. Next, pineapple, lemon, and roast notes on the sip opened up into rum, coffee, vegetal, chili pepper spice, and smoke flavors on the swallow. I felt that with the robust Mr. Black, if I were to make this again, perhaps I would tone down that volume to a half ounce or use a less intense coffee liqueur so that it did not take over the flavor profile here. Moreover, I could not help to think that the theme could be bolstered by replacing the Jamaican rum with one of the many cane spirits coming out of Mexico these days such as Uruapan Charanda (partly because Coruba's light funk note got lost in the mix here).
No comments:
Post a Comment