Saturday, December 8, 2007

toronto

2oz rye whiskey
1/4oz Fernet-Branca
1/4tsp sugar
dash Angostura bitters

Recipe: CocktailDB

Wonderfully balanced flavor, and awfully good with the brownie sundae... I'm just saying! I really liked this one and wonder if it might be a more gentle introduction to Fernet than taking a shot. Although I will say, I've managed to cajole three newbies in as many weeks into doing such a thing and all enjoyed the experience.

Well, except for C. the next morning: he did so after two Gibsons, and then some Rittenhouse 100 neat... over the course of something like an hour. Actually, I shudder to think what he would have felt like were it not for that Fernet at the end!

2 comments:

Alex said...

I've tried repeatedly to enjoy Fernet straight, but it just ain't happening. The menthol is too much. However, in the right cocktail it is awesome sauce! The Toronto is definitely one of my all-time favorite cocktails. The role of the orange peel as both garnish and flavoring agent should not be understated.

frederic said...

Definitely a great drink. I always include the orange twist, although if one of my friends is around, he makes me do a flaming twist (looks cool but adds little to me, but it seems crucial to him).

Other touch of Fernet drinks I can recommend are the Coup d'Etat, Hanky Panky, and Newark.