Saturday, June 21, 2008

avery's arrack-ari

1 1/2 oz Batavia Arrack
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
Talisker 10 year rinse

Shaken with ice and strained into a cocktail coupe rinsed with scotch and garnished with a lime wedge.

Last night, Andrea and I went to Green Street after getting Tibetan Food at Rangzen. My first cocktail of the night was a return to the arrack cocktail I had last time (yet only blogged about the Lion's Tail). This new cocktail on Green Street's recently redone small cocktail menu was created by the Avery's of Bittermens Bitters. And surprisingly, they skipped the use of their bitters in this drink.

The smokiness and spiciness of the Batavia arrack were complimented rather well by the Talisker 10 year old rinse. Last time the rinse was a bit more prevalent in the taste, and this time was sorely missed. The lime juice and simple syrup do serve to smooth over the rough edges a bit and add some sweetness to an otherwise super dry cocktail.

Obviously I rather enjoyed this one if I had it the last two visits at Green Street. It is good to see arrack making a comeback in the cocktail world.

1 comment:

Katie (aka GarnishGirl) said...

I used this recipe on my blog today: http://www.garnishblog.com/2015/06/bottle-buy-batavia-arrack.html

I love that whenever I try a great cocktail in Boston, you seem to have the recipe on here. Thanks!