Tuesday, April 2, 2013

black rene

2/3 Brandy (1 1/2 oz Foret)
1/2 Lemon (1/2 oz Lemon Juice
2 dash Bacardi Rum (1/2 oz Thomas Tew)
2 dash Maraschino Liqueur (1/2 oz Luxardo)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a green olive (omitted, and instead garnished with a lemon twist).

Two Fridays ago, I was scanning through the brandy section of Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 when I spotted the Black Rene. Overall, it seemed like a brandy-forward and Maraschino instead of triple sec variation of the Between the Sheets, and it seemed worthy of a try.
pre-prohibition era cocktail
The Black Rene's bouquet was filled with lemon, Maraschino, and caramel notes from the rum. A slightly tart lemon-caramel sip led into brandy, rum, and Maraschino flavors on the swallow. Moreover, as the drink warmed up, it became a bit more grassy and rhum agricole-like; Andrea surmised that the Maraschino played a role modifying or pushing this flavor forward.

3 comments:

Lauren @ Gourmet Veggie Mama said...

The lemon twist looks like a much better garnish to me. Cheers!

frederic said...

I always worry that the lack of olive or pickled onion will deprive a savory note (salt and/or vinegar besides the vegetal note from the infused brine) to the drink. Rarely enough to make me put in a garnish that I won't eat though.

Dagreb said...

What Fred won't eat I likely will. I may have to "take one for the team" and report my findings...

Cheers!