Saturday, December 15, 2018

artichoke hold

2 oz Bourbon (Wild Turkey 101)
1/4 oz Cynar
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)
2-3 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass with fresh ice, and garnish with an orange twist.

A few weeks ago, I had spotted a recipe in Imbibe Magazine online called the Artichoke Hold, but I paused on it for it shared the same name with Jeremy Oertel's drink. Then two Saturday nights ago, I was in the mood for a nightcap, and this Old Fashioned-like number seemed perfect enough for the moment to override my hesitations. Actually, it reminded me more of a Fancy Free with perhaps the Cynar subbing in for the classic's Angostura or a Bensonhurst without the dry vermouth. Therefore, I gave this creation of Steven Tuttle of Kettner Exchange in San Diego a whirl.
This Artichoke Hold offered up orange and nutty cherry notes to the nose that led into malt and a hint of cherry on the sip. Next, Bourbon was accented by nutty cherry melding with funky herbal flavors on the swallow. Overall, my choice of Wild Turkey 101 made for a hot and aggressive drink until there was more dilution from ice melt with time.

No comments: