Monday, December 17, 2018

duke of braganza

1 3/4 oz Cachaça (Seleta Gold)
3/4 oz Lillet Blanc or Cocchi Americano (Cocchi Americano)
1/2 oz Drambiue
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Stir with ice, strain into an old fashioned glass pre-rinsed with absinthe or Herbsaint (Herbsaint), and garnish with grapefruit oil from a twist.

Two Mondays ago, I made eye contact with my bottle of Drambuie and I thought about the Prince Edward and the tequila variation that Misty Kalkofen made for me at Drink. When I began to consider what other spirits would work, I recalled how my Madame Mustache was originally crafted with cachaça before I turned it into a rhum agricole number in honor of the birthday of the person running that industry night. Instead of dropping in cachaça and calling it a day, I recalled how well an Amburana-aged cachaça worked in Sazerac, and I exchanged the Angostura and orange bitters for Peychaud's Bitters and an absinthe rinse. For a name, I sought out a famous prince of Brazil, and I learned that the Portuguese title was also known as the Duke of Braganza.
The Duke of Braganza offered up a floral aroma from the grapefruit oil mingling with the Herbsaint's anise and the cachaça's funk. Next, honey, peach, and malt notes on the sip carried a noticeable amount of body, and the swallow began with grassy, funky, and herbal flavors and ended with an anise finish.

No comments: