Tuesday, May 3, 2016

black mammy

1/2 Santa Cruz Rum (1 oz Tommy Bahama Golden Sun + 1/2 oz Vale d'Paul Agricole-style Rum)
1/8 Brandy (1/2 oz Camus VS Cognac)
Juice 1/4 Grapefruit (1/2 oz)
Juice 1/4 Lemon (1/2 oz)
1 dash Clove (1/2 oz Velvet Falerum + 1 Clove)
1 dash Syrup (1/2 oz Florida Crystals Syrup)

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve with a thin strip of orange and lemon peels.

Two Wednesdays ago, I was perusing 1934's 1700 Cocktails for the Man Behind the Bar and spotted an interesting Caribbean-feeling drink that intrigued me despite its racist name. The Black Mammy paired up rum and brandy like in a good punch and paired up citrus like in Tiki drinks. I took the liberty of interpreting the clove element to be falernum to drive it a bit more Caribbean akin to the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club.
The Black Mammy gave forth a grapefruit juice aroma that was brightened by citrus oils from the two twists. Next, the citrus continued into the sip with a smooth grapefruit and lemon flavor, and the swallow brought together the funky rum and brandy combination with a clove-driven finish.

1 comment:

Excommish said...

Really enjoyed making this cocktail. I didn't have the exact rums for the "remake" of Santa Cruz Rum so I winged it with some Jamaican Pot Still, Clement White and Plantation. The entire cocktail was delicious just not sure I can ever replicate the mix but will have fun trying. Thanks for the continuing trip into cocktail's that I would never know about unless I read it in your blog. Always looking forward to trying your recipes for my girlfriend and I.