Sunday, May 8, 2016

sirius

2/3 Plymouth Gin (1 1/2 oz Bluecoat)
3 dash Dry Vermouth (1 oz Noilly Prat)
2 dash St. Croix Rum (1/2 oz Owney's Rum)
1 dash Orange Bitters (1 dash Regan's Orange)

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with an orange twist.

After my shift two Sundays ago, I flipped through Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 for something to end the evening. In the gin section was a Martini riff that included rum in the mix; that combination reminded me of the Astoria, Oregon that I had at Tales of the Cocktail last summer. That modern drink took the classic Astoria from the Savoy Cocktail Book, added rum, and swapped the dry vermouth and orange bitters to Lillet. The Sirius from a century before straddles the line between the Astoria, Oregon and the original Astoria with some similarity to the B.V.D. from that 1930 tome.
The Sirius gave forth an orange and herbal aroma with hints of rum. Next, a dry white wine sip led into juniper, fruity rum esters, and orange notes on the swallow.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I'll have to try this again with a different rum, the one I used got overwhelmed (by the vermouth of all things).